Friday, November 19, 2010

Ghostcook

I was feeling run down this evening after a long week, so while I orchestrated what would end up on our dinner plates tonight, my ghostcook actually executed the entire meal...thank goodness I married a renaissance man! As long as my husband has some directions, he can make just about anything in the kitchen, from tacos to truffles. Tonight I had planned on lamb burgers with tzatziki sauce and sweet potato fries. Burger and fries of any variety is the perfect Friday night meal (even this healthy version)!

Lamb Burgers
1 lb. ground lamb
salt and pepper to taste
whole wheat rolls (I actually buy whole wheat pizza dough and divide into 8 rolls and bake; they're like whole wheat ciabatta bread!)
tzatziki sauce (recipe follows)

If you already have the rolls ready, cut them in half and toast lightly; otherwise bake the rolls first before starting the burgers (I usually make the rolls in advance and freeze them once they're baked, then pull out the number I need for these burgers...or you can just use store bought rolls!)

Make the tzatziki sauce and set aside (see recipe below).

Season the lamb with salt and pepper and form into 4 even patties. Cook the burgers to medium-well (either by grill, or since I don't have a grill, or backyard for that matter, a cast iron skillet works just as well).

To assemble the burgers, simply dab some tzatziki sauce on the toasted buns and add the lamb burger.

Serve with sweet potato fries...how do you make those? Wash and scrub 2-3 sweet potatoes (I like to leave the skin on, but you can peel it if you like). Cut the potatoes into fries and toss in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake 20-30 minutes until tender.

Tzatziki Sauce
1/2 cup greek yogurt
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp shallots, minced
drizzle of olive oil
drizzle of lemon juice
drizzle of apple cider vinegar
2 tsp dried dill (fresh would be good too, but I didn't have any)

Combine in a food processor and blend well. (this is not exactly a traditional Tzatziki sauce recipe (which, for one, includes cucumber), but it is what I had around the kitchen and tasted pretty close to us!)

The ghostcook did a fantastic job this evening, although feeling run down I had no trouble devouring my meal. Kudos to the hubs!

No comments:

Post a Comment