Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Avocado Shooter

I am invariably frustrated when food goes bad, either because I didn't get around to using it, or I bought too much of it, or I forgot I had it until an unpleasant smell comes wafting out of my refrigerator one day. So this morning, I noticed the avocados I just purchased were already looking ripe; I had not planned to use them until Wednesday or Thursday. So I decided to cut one open to see how ripe it was getting, hoping to get an indication of the ripeness of the other 3 in the pack. Rotten. Completely, unsalvageably (no that is not a word) rotten. Drats! I threw it away with a pang of guilt. 

I sliced open the next one and it was mostly ripe, just a few brown spots. No way this one was making it a few more days, so I decided to have an avocado omelette for breakfast...but I only needed about half of it. My urge to cut open a third was overwhelming, I just had to know if these were all going to go bad. I figured I might as well use them and get to eat them now in an unplanned recipe than not use them at all. The third one was perfectly ripe. I decided to stop there. So now I had uneaten avocados, which was counter intuitive to my entire cause this particular morning. What to do?

I surveyed my refrigerator and a half full can of sweetened condensed milk caught my eye (left over from a previous kitchen creation called Biscones that is a combination of a biscuit and a scone). I swiped the condensed milk, and the regular milk. I diced the avocados (about 1 - 1 1/2 whole ones) and put them in the blender, then drizzled about 1 tablespoon or so of the sweetened condensed milk over them, and added a splash (oh, say 1/4-1/3 cup) of milk. I pulsed the blender on low until my  thick, creamy avocado treat was born. 

This made enough to fill two 4 oz. juice glasses, so I named the mixture Avocado Shooter, gave one to my husband before he headed out the door to work and took the other myself...bottoms up! Avocado disaster diverted and healthy, tasty breakfast drink created.  

No comments:

Post a Comment