Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Butternut Squash Disaster

This side dish was actually inspired by the hot bar at my local Whole Foods, which I have rarely partaken in but as I passed by on my way to the checkout I saw "butternut squash slaw" as one of the dishes. Hmm, I've never heard of that, but sounds good. I decided to try to make it myself...plus butternut squash was on sale for $.99/lb, so you know.

What a disaster. I researched a few recipes to help inspire my own, so the below is what I came up with. Can you say pumpkin guts? This is exactly what the slaw, even after marinating for a few hours, smelled and tasted like. This is either a specific taste some like, or it's just not meant to be eaten this way. You know me, I never throw anything out, but this stuff went to the dogs!

I'm only providing the recipe for your laughing pleasure, please do not make this dish!

Butternut Squash Slaw
1 1/2 lbs butternut squash (about 1 medium squash)
1 1/2 T honey
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
juice of 1/2 lemon
3 T extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
2 T chopped fresh parsley

Peel the squash with a potato peeler or knife, shred finely using a box grater, mandoline or food processor.

In a bowl, whisk together honey, cider vinegar and lemon juice. When smooth, drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper. 

Toss squash and parsley in dressing until fully coated. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment