Monday, April 4, 2011

Jalapeño Dressing

Tonight's dinner was just a Southwest style salad, nothing too exciting. But the dressing I made up was definitely the star of this otherwise boiler plate dinner salad. We eat a lot of salads in this house, and in fact when there are often consecutive postless days it is because we've been eating dinner salads that would seem anemic compared to some of the other flashy or robust recipes. Where is this going? 

I was tired of our usual suspects in terms of dressings. I almost exclusively use home made salad dressings, and all I had available was honey mustard, pomegranate vinaigrette, and orange poppy seed. All fine choices that have grown slightly chronic. So, I fished around in the refrigerator and came across some jalapeño jelly. Hmm, what could I make with this? Turns out a really nice accompaniment to what became a Southwest salad:  

Jalapeño Dressing
1/3 cup light mayo
3-4 T jalapeno jelly (perhaps try a few jarred jalapenos and a bit of sugar if you don't have jalapeno jelly)
1 T lime juice
A few dashes of hot sauce

Combine all ingredietns in a small food processor and mix until smooth. Add more or less hot sauce and/or jalapeno for your tolerance to spicey food. These ratios will give a slight kick, but nothing too hot. 

I served this, as I mentioned, Southwest style with corn, beans and chicken tenders.. and some chow mein noodles for a nice crunch, although I would have used crushed tortilla chips if I had any. I'm not purist.  

The jalapeno jelly I have is the Knott's brand; I found it at Target so I feel confident that most grocery store jelly sections will carry this type of jelly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment