Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Chocolate Cupcakes

The dessert accompaniment to the Greek dinner I brought my friend who had the twins was chocolate cupcakes with pink buttercream frosting (two girls!). I had leftover cupcakes that I am bringing to my moms group for snack, so I died the leftover buttercream icing teal and just went with it. Yum! 

Normally I would have made these from scratch, but I was under a time crunch, so I did the next best thing: dress up a box mix. It's never my first choice, but they still turn out really good, and once you put that buttercream frosting on, they could taste like cardboard for all anyone else will care.

Chocolate Cupcakes (shortcut)
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 cup canola oil
3 eggs
3 T cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla

Combine all ingredients in either a stand mixer or a large bowl and beat until well combined. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and bake on 350 deg F for about 12-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack before icing.

Buttercream Frosting
1 stick butter, softened
2 cups confectioners sugar (added gradually)
1 tsp vanilla
1-2 T milk

In a stand mixer cream together the buttercream and about a cup or so of the sugar. Slowly add the sugar until a thick icing starts to come together. Add the vanilla and the milk and beat until fluffy. You may need to add a bit of sugar and/or milk to get just the right consistency.  If desired, color with food coloring before icing.    

No comments:

Post a Comment