Saturday, March 5, 2011

Hot Jam'wiches

 My husband loves jelly. I mean L.O.V.E.S. So when I noticed the other day that he had opened a new jar of raspberry jam, a nice change from its tiresome and endemic jelly counterparts grape and strawberry, I decided I wanted to use it in a recipe. For some reason grilled cheese sandwiches popped into my head, and I thought what if I added the raspberry jam to a grilled cheese sandwich?! 

The combination of salty and sweet is one of my favorite pairings...this was going to be good. The trick would be to select just the right cheese. As I perused the cheese case in the grocery store, my eyes fell upon Brie. Soft, gooey, delicious, yet mild Brie. Perfect! Let me tell you, these were so delicious. I don't know if I made this up, or if others have thought of a similar combination (I didn't bother to look online or anything), but these will be a repeat in this kitchen for certain.

Hot Jam'wiches
2 bakery sourdough rolls
1/2 lb. Brie cheese
3 T raspberry jam (or any flavor you like!)
Butter (to spread on outside ends)

Cut each roll into thirds so that you will have enough bread for 3 sandwiches (the thicker the roll, the better...this would work with sliced bread too, but the sourdough rolls do add a lot). Butter the outside ends of each piece of bread. Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat.

Spread the Brie cheese onto the inside of each sandwich, top with 1 T jam and spread evenly, place top piece of bread on top and grill until golden brown and crispy on each side. 

(the method for making these is basically identical to making a grilled cheese...also I put the jam in a small bowl first and mashed it around so it would be more homogeneous and spread more evenly...you know how jelly can be clumpy). 
  

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked them!! They can appear on the menu anytime you like :)

    ReplyDelete