Sunday, March 13, 2011

Spiced Apple Oat Bread

I had a plethora of packaged, sliced apples in the refrigerator that were quickly approaching their expiration date, so I decided to make a quick bread incorporating them. I took my basic recipe base for banana or zucchini bread, but added rolled oats and kicked up the spices. It turned out moist yet hearty...virtually gone within 24 hours...did I mention my household only consists of 2 adults and a one year old? ...
Spiced Apple Oat Bread
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground all spice
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup rolled oats
2 cups grated apple (I actually left the skin on mine)
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup canola oil

Preheat oven to 350 deg F; Grease a loaf pan.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and all spice. Stir in the brown sugar, and oats. 

Add the shredded apple, eggs, milk, and oil. Mix until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour into prepared pan and lightly tap to release any air bubbles. 

Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until done. Let rest in the pan about 10 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.  

No comments:

Post a Comment