Friday, June 3, 2011

Curried Chicken with Ginger: Disaster!

I found this easy slow cooker recipe in my Real Simple magazine and immediately added it to this week's menu. I love slow cooker meals, although I don't utilize my slow cooker near as often as I should. The problem with juggling a 2 yr old, work and a pregnancy at the same time is that you often are forgetful. So I had planned this meal for tonight and totally forgot it was a slow cooker meal. Hello. So when 5pm rolled around and I saw that this needed 8 hours to cook, well. Plan B indeed. I thought I would go ahead and assemble and make this meal, refrigerate it when it was finished (although this would require setting an alarm to get up at 2am) and serve it for dinner tomorrow night. Can you see where this is going?

Short story: started slow cooker by 6pm, went on with evening routine, forgot to set alarm, woke up at 6am to burnt (BURNT) chicken gook. 

Hesitant to post anything about this disaster, I remembered that in the beginning I set out to chronicle kitchen successes and failures. Failure: check!

I would like to try this again some time, and if you would to here is the recipe from Real Simple:

Curried Chicken with Ginger
1/3 cup tomato paste
1 cup chicken stock (my addition)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 T curry powder
1 T grated fresh ginger
1 tsp ground cumin
1 medium onion, chopped
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups wild rice
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 scallions, thinly sliced

Whisk together the tomato paste, garlic, curry, ginger, cumin and chicken stock in your slow cooker. Add the onion and stir to combine. Place the chicken on top and season with 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.

Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 8 hours on low.

Thirty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to package directions. Just before serving, add the yogurt and 1/2 tsp salt to the chicken and stir to combine. Serve with rice and sprinkle with scallions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment