Thursday, June 9, 2011

Coffee-Braised Brisket with Potatoes & Carrots

I found this recipe in Real Simple recently and, knowing that I had a few pounds of brisket in the freezer, decided to try it out. It is really simple, and as long as you plan ahead for using the slow cooker, it comes together quick when it's time to serve. 

I'd like to think of this as an updated version of (enter your name here) mom's pot roast. I have not so pleasant memories of coming home from church to the smell of pot roast in the oven, and so does my husband. I guess this was a Southern staple for Sunday afternoon lunch. Ranks up there with meatloaf if you ask me. Anyway...it's a nice change up with the coffee flavor and if I make it again I'll be sure to spice it up with maybe some bright coriander, or even use a nice dark beer, like Guinness, instead of coffee. You could always change up the vegetables to for a modern update as well, such as using parsnips or sweet potatoes. 

I didn't take any pictures because a) it was getting late and we were hungry and b) even with it's updated flavor, admittedly it didn't look much more appetizing than a blob of pot roast with overcooked potatoes (although I assure you my carrots and potatoes were not overcooked).  

My husband used the leftover brisket to make sandwiches the following days after we had this; really good according to him!

Coffee-Braised Brisket with Potatoes & Carrots
1 medium onion, peeled and quartered, stem and end left intact
1 lb. red potatoes, quartered
1 lb. baby carrots
2 1/2 lbs. beef brisket, trimmed
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
3/4 cup strong brewed black coffee
2 T worcestershire sauce
2 T brown sugar

In the bottom of a slow cooker, combine the onion, potatoes, and carrots. Season beef with 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and place on top of the vegetables.

In a small bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, coffee, worcestershore, and brown sugar; pour over the beef and vegetables. Cover and cook on low 7-8 hours until beef and vegetables are tender. 

Slice the beef across the grain and serve with vegetables and sauce.

(Recipe adapted from Real Simple)

1 comment:

  1. Funny, Ben and I are the same way about both pot roast and meatloaf. I still won't cook potatoes and carrots in the same dish as a pot roast - the rare occasion I make a pot roast I'll cook the potatoes and carrots separate so they don't get mushy. And we both hated meatloaf until I tried this recipe. Amazing flavors, not dry and certainly no cooked ketchup covering the top - YUCK! It's also pretty easy to throw together, it's become one of our favorite quick dinners http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/turkey-meatloaf-with-feta-and-sun-dried-tomatoes-recipe/index.html

    ReplyDelete