Saturday, July 30, 2011

Banana Roll Treat

This simple snack/breakfast/or even lunch takes me back to my grad school days. I was living out in Utah attending grad school, had no money, and was struggling to eat healthy on a shoe string budget...and the scale was proof of that. Cheap food is, for the most part, NOT healthy. Determined to balance my budget with my waistline, I found a (free at the time) program online called eDiets that had pretty good recipes that were healthy but also wallet friendly. I downloaded these meals every week to make my meal planner and found great success both with cooking and balancing my diet. This was a fun little treat that I would eat for breakfast or for a snack. It is still good today, and in fact I actually made it for lunch today (admittedly because I desperately need to go to the grocery store and the ingredients for this are mostly "pantry" ingredients).

Banana Roll Treat
1 large banana
(2) 6" whole wheat tortillas
4 T peanut butter
4 T granola
2 T honey
Dash cinnamon

Cut the banana in half. Spread 2 T of peanut butter over each tortilla. Lay a banana half in the center of each. Sprinkle each banana with 2 T granola and 1 T honey. Season with a dash of cinnamon over each and wrap up like a burrito. Voila!

Although I didn't have kids at the time, and even now I eat this occasionally myself, this is a great kids dish as well. It's easy for them to help assemble and it is healthy too. My son in particular loves both bananas and peanut butter.  

No comments:

Post a Comment