Sunday, July 24, 2011

How NOT to make granola bars!

I do not know where I got this recipe...it was in a pile of recipes I had saved some time ago and stashed away. I had been wanting to make granola bars lately anyway, so I thought this was the perfect opportunity. Well, I don't know who authored this recipe but it is terrible. It tasted okay, but was chewy and did not form bars at all. In fact, it made a total mess of my baking sheet. I had to keep what survived the process in the freezer to make it edible. If you have a tested granola bar recipe, please send it to me!

Do Not Make Granola Bars this way:
1 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/2 cups puffed rice cereal
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup oat bran
2 T candied ginger, diced
3/4 cup + 2 T maple syrup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Toast walnuts and set aside. In a bowl mix the rice cereal, oats, dried cranberries, oat bran and ginger. In a saucepan mix together maple syrup, sugar, and salt over medium heat until thick, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Toss with dry mixture and add walnuts; stir until combined well. Press into a greased 8x11 baking dish and let cool. Cut into bars.

These were a gooey, sloppy mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment