Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Goat Cheese Salad

I'm not quite sure how to post this salad. I mean the salad part is pretty basic (mixed greens, pomegranate dressing, walnuts, dried cranberries, chicken breast), but the highlight was going to be on the fried goat cheese rounds (rather than just crumbling goat cheese on top). I have eaten these before and even seen them prepared, so I had the misconception that 1) it was easy and 2) it did not require any kind of research beforehand. I figured I would simply wing it. I failed pretty miserably. They tasted quite nice on the salad, but they were a disaster to try and make. 

What I tried to do was cut the goat cheese into rounds (like medallions) and coat them in a mixture of panko, flour, parsley, salt, pepper and bread crumb. I pressed the rounds into the mixture for full coverage, then put them in the freezer so they were nice and firm. Meanwhile, I heated some Canola oil (shallow) over high heat. I thought I could fry them on each side very quickly and create a nice golden crust. Buuuutttt, I just melted the cheese and made a huge mess in the pan. I scraped out the cheese best I could, drained it on a paper towel and let it cool. Again, they tasted good, but were more like fried goat cheese blobs than the pretty golden crusted medallions I had envisioned! 

No comments:

Post a Comment