Sunday, February 27, 2011

Carrot Ginger Bread

I had a few carrots in the refrigerator that were approaching their expiration, but I wasn't in the mood for carrot sticks...so I decided to make some healthy carrot ginger bread...now, I have never made this kind of bread before, but I figured I could take a basic zucchini bread recipe and alter it. This is what I came up with, and it was quite good!


Carrot Ginger Bread
1/2 c whole wheat + 1 c all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch ground cloves
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup canola oil
1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
3/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cups shredded carrots (about 4 medium carrots)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

In a large bowl, combine the flour through baking powder and whisk until well combined. In another bowl, beat the egg, oil, sour cream/plain yogurt, brown sugar and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in carrots and nuts.

Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 deg F for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment