Saturday, February 19, 2011

Popovers

This was my second attempt at making popovers this week, and while they taste really good (kind of like french toast in muffin form), they are far from popovers. The first time I attempted these, I used 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk, 1 egg and 1/2 tsp salt. They rose beautifully, but were a bit heavy and eggy. I decided I needed to add more flour and milk to compensate for the egginess. So this time around, my recipe went like this:

Popovers
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 450 deg F. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl just until moistened. It helps to have the egg lightly beaten before adding to remaining ingredients. In very well greased ramekins, pour the batter until half to three quarters full. Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 deg F and bake an additional 20 minutes. DO NOT open the oven at any time during cooking or they will fall!

So, like I said these tasted really good, but they were not the light and fluffy popovers I have had before, not baked by me obviously. I think I will try to make these again one day next week.      

No comments:

Post a Comment