Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Chicken Peach Picante & Peach Black Bean Salsa

I found a large can of peaches up in the top of my cabinet that I bought a while back for my son, thinking they would be a good snack for him. He rejected the first can I opened, so this can apparently was relegated to the back and forgotten. Knowing that they would be wasted if I cut them up to give to my son, I decided to try and cook with them instead. The obvious choice would be peach cobbler, but 1) I don't really like peach cobbler and 2) I don't need another sweet dessert laying around hampering my weight management!

Incidentally, I also found a jar of peach preserves my sister made. Now this I can work with. I decided to make a peach and black bean salsa, then pair it with a chicken dish made with the peach preserves. Pretty good little invention:

Chicken Peach Picante
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 T taco seasoning (recipe follows)
1 T canola oil
1 cup salsa (homemade salsa would be best and most "picante", but jarred will work as well)
1/3 cup peach preserves

Season the chicken with taco seasoning. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, add seasoned pork and saute until browned, about 5-7 minutes.

Add the salsa and peach preserves and stir to combine well. Cover skillet and reduce heat to simmer gently for about 10 minutes. Serve over rice. (I used wild rice)

Taco Seasoning (I use this for chili and tacos, and really any generic Mexican dish)
1 T ground cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Combine in a small bowl and store in air tight container.

Peach & Black Bean Salsa
1 (28 oz.) can peaches, rinsed, drained and diced
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red pepper, diced
3 T lime juice
1-2 T cumin

salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)


Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and refrigerate. This salsa would also be excellent over pork tenerloin, pork chops, or even grilled chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment