Thursday, February 17, 2011

Roasted Red Pepper Pasta

While I was away, my sisters and I made this dish (one my younger sister had made before) and it was fabulous, so I decided to make it again for my family. Made a few changes, but it is mostly the same. I subbed walnuts for pine nuts, and forwent the shrimp we used in my sister's version because I didn't have any on hand...shrimp or chicken would be a great addition if you have it though...

Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
1 lb. whole wheat pasta (I used rotini)
1 lb. red peppers, roasted & peeled (I keep red peppers in the freezer and roast them on a  baking sheet in the oven)
2 T walnuts, chopped roasted (roast them in a toaster oven or in a small pan over low heat; careful not to burn!)
2 T olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
3 oz. 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1/3 cup skim milk
salt and pepper to taste


Prepare the pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside. 


In a skillet over medium heat, sautee the onion and garlic in the olive oil until the onions are just softening. Add to a food processor along with the roasted peppers, walnuts and parsley. Process this mixture, streaming a bit of olive oil into the processor as it runs if the mixture is too thick.


Return the roasted red pepper sauce to the same skillet the onions and garlic were in. Over low heat, add the cream cheese and stir until melted; add the milk a tablespoon at a time, incorporating well with each addition until a creamy sauce forms. You can adjust the amount of cream cheese and milk to your desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. 


Toss the pasta with the red pepper sauce and serve.  


No comments:

Post a Comment