Friday, February 4, 2011

Greek Pizza

I know I know, every Friday it's pizza or some derivative of it. But this one is one of my absolute favorites. It is unique with a lot of flavor and will stoke any appetite, even that of someone who may be having a waning interest in perfunctory pizza night! I think my favorite aspect is that the "sauce" is actually hummus instead of marinara. 



Greek Pizza
1 pkg whole wheat pizza dough
olive oil and dried oregano to season the crust
1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 cloves garlic
2 oz. water
kalamata olives (as many as you like)
1 red pepper, sliced and roasted (or raw would be fine too, it will cook with the pizza)
3 oz. feta cheese, crumbled (I also love goat cheese with this pizza, but feta is what I had in the refrigerator)
4 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 375 deg F. Spread the sliced red pepper out evenly on a small baking sheet and bake about 15 minutes, just until roasted. Meanwhile, roll out the dough and season with olive oil and dried oregano. In a small food processor, add the garbanzo beans, garlic and water. Blend until smooth and creamy, adding more water if needed, to make hummus.

Spread the hummus evenly over the dough and top with red peppers, olives, feta and mozzarella. Reduce the heat in the oven to 350 deg F. Bake for 20-25 minutes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment