Saturday, January 15, 2011

Apple Whole Oat Pancakes

We are big fans of Brinner around here, breakfast for dinner. Tonight's brinner was pancakes. I usually make pancakes from scratch, but I have some left over pancake mix from Christmas baking, so I decided to use it and fix it up with some add ins of my own.

Apple Oat Pancakes
2 cups honey wheat pancake mix (I used Krusteaz)
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup quick cooking oats
4 oz. applesauce (this is the size of a single serve container)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl to make the pancake batter. Scoop 1/4 cup of the batter onto a hot griddle for each pancake and bake 2-3 minutes on the first side, then flip and cook an additional minute (cooking time will vary depending on how hot your griddle is). Serve piping hot with warm maple syrup!

This recipe could handle another 4 oz. of applesauce if you want to up the apple flavor, and/or add diced apples. Similarly, adding another 1/2 tsp of cinnamon would amp up the flavor as well. Go easy on the quick oats, more than 1/4 cup might make the batter too thick and result in fiberous, healthy tasting pancakes...yes, I intentionally made these "healthy", but I always strive to make healthy food taste delicious, not necessarily healthy. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment