Sunday, January 23, 2011

Pumpkin Spiced Oatmeal

I had some leftover pumpkin from the wraps last week, plus I have been sick all weekend, so it wasn't too hard to think of a comforting lunch for me...what is more warm and cozy than oatmeal? I've never made pumpkin oatmeal, but I love them separate so I think I will love them together!

Pumpkin Spiced Oatmeal
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 1/4 cup milk or water
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon brown sugar

Stir together the quick oats and milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook on high for 1 minute, being careful to watch so the mixture does not bubble over the rim (you may need to stir once or twice while cooking). Add more milk or oats to reach your desired consistency, if necessary, and cook for another 30 seconds.

In a small bowl, combine pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar. Add to the cooked oatmeal and combine well. Heat through, and serve.

I am fighting a cold this weekend, so I sprinkled mini chocolate chips on top of my oatmeal to make this a special treat and lift my spirits (sniff, sniff).  

No comments:

Post a Comment