Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Healthy(er) Lemon Bars

One of my husband's favorite desserts is lemon squares, so when I made a batch to accompany the Moroccan Chicken for my friend who had the baby, he was left with a yearning for more than the two I had held back for him. Oh, but they are so fatty! The crust alone has an entire stick of butter in it. Basically the entire dessert is butter, sugar and eggs. In fact there is hardly any lemon juice! So. I decided there has to be some way to make them, at least slightly, more healthy. Here went nothing!

Healthy(er) Lemon Bars
Crust:
1/4 cup all purpose flour + 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 T canola oil
2 T butter

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl (the mixture will look mealy). Press into 8x8 glass baking dish. Bake at 325 deg F for 20 min.

Filling:
2 eggs + 1 egg white, lightly beaten
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp baking powder

Mix all ingredients with a mixer on high for about 3 minutes, until lighter in color. Pour filling onto hot crust and bake an additional 30 minutes. Dust with confectioners sugar.


The consensus? They are good! Sure, they don't taste like their much more naughty counterpart, but still a very satisfying lemon treat! My husband noted that the crust was very different, although good, and the filling was pretty close. I will take it, especially on my first try.

When I make these again, I will probably make a few alterations: Use 4 T of butter and no canola oil in the crust, and add a couple of tablespoons of flour or maybe cornstarch to the filling mix to add a little body. Otherwise, a success in my book...I'm quite sure they will all be consumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment