Saturday, January 29, 2011

Whole Wheat Blueberry Scones

After a very long and tiring week my husband and I decided to treat ourselves to a brunch in. No, this is nothing like a sit in where we formed an organized protest against, what? A busy work week? Hardly. We simply decided to cook ourselves a nice brunch once our son went down for his nap...a quiet, peaceful, delicious brunch.

My husband made my favorite omelette, cranberry bacon (recipe here), and I tried my hand at something new, blueberry scones that were whole wheat. The omelette did not disappoint, and the scones were good but I would alter the recipe next go around (as noted below). All in all a great respite from a busy week.

Whole Wheat Blueberry Scones
3/4 cup butter, cold and diced
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour (next time I suggest 1 1/2 cups ww + 1 1/2 cups all purpose)
2 T sugar (next time I would try 1/4 cup)
pinch of salt
2 1/2  baking soda
2 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk (I did not have any, so I mixed 2 tsp white vinegar with 3/4 cup milk)
1/2 cup wild blueberries (fresh, for frozen then thawed and drained well)

Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, then cut in the butter with a pastry blender. In another small bowl, whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. Set aside 2 T of this mixture for brushing onto the dough later.

Stir the egg mixtureinto the dry mixture until a soft dough forms. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle the blueberries evenly across the dough, then gradually knead the blueberries into the dough until they are (mostly) uniformly distributed. Roll the dough out again  until it is about 1/2 inch thick (you may need to add more flour to your counter at this point).

Using a biscuit cutter, or cookie cutter shape (whatever you like), cut out the scone shapes and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush each scone with the reserved egg and buttermilk mixture. Bake for 12-15 minutes.

I decided to make a lemon glaze for these scones by combining 2 oz. lemon liquor with 1/2 cup confectioners sugar until a smooth glaze formed. Spread over the warm scones after they've been out of the oven about 5 minutes. If I had a lemon, I would have added some lemon zest both to the dough and to the glaze.

No comments:

Post a Comment